4 Everyday Habits to Improve Your Dental Health
At ProHEALTH Dental, we aim to show patients how much of a positive impact a solid dental hygiene routine can have on their oral health. To celebrate Dental Hygiene Month, here are four of the top ways you can improve your routine and support your oral health.
1. Learn How Your General & Oral Health are Connected
Did you know that patients who don’t practice good dental habits have between 100 million and 1 billion bacteria living on each tooth? These bacteria can not only lead to tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease — but they can drastically affect your overall well-being.
Knowing how critical oral care is to your overall wellness can help you start your journey towards improving your dental health routine
2. Improve Your Diet
The food and drinks you consume affect your oral health, so choosing nutritious foods can support healthy gums and teeth. Here are a few top choices to add to your grocery list:
- Fruits and vegetables that are rich in fiber.
- Cheeses and other dairy products.
Additionally, there are several foods that can hinder your dental health, including:
- Citrus fruits
- Soft drinks
- Refined carbohydrates (such as crackers and bread).
3. Keep Up With Your At-Home Routine
Most of the care your mouth needs, happens at home through your daily routine. Your daily routine should include:
- Brushing your teeth two to three times daily.
- Drinking plenty of water to get rid of debris and hydrate your mouth.
- Flossing at least once daily.
- Avoiding harmful lifestyle habits such as smoking.
4. Visit Your Dentist Frequently
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, many patients have put off their routine health check-ups like dental visits due to fear and concern over safety protocols. However, putting off dental visits can have a drastic impact on your oral health. In fact, studies show that routine dental care may prevent severe COVID-19 complications. You should visit your dentist every six months so your teeth and gums can be properly cleaned and examined.
Caring For Your Dental Health at ProHEALTH Dental
ProHEALTH Dental’s mission is to provide services and education to patients regarding the critical importance of proper oral health care and its impact on systemic health.